Interesting information and photos of Petrovac
Petrovac is small romantic town at the coast of Montenegro, located 18 km from Budva, which has a mild Mediterranean climate with almost 300 sunny days a year. It is considered one of the most attractive tourist destinations in the Adriatic sea. According to the population census in 2003. Petrovac had 1485 inhabitants. After first world war Petrovac has got its name after king Petar Karadjordjevic. Before that Petrovac was used to call Kastel Lastva.
In front of Petrovac are islands Katic and Sveta Nedjelja with the church on the top which was built according to legend, by the sailor who escaped shipwreck and saved himself on the island. The church was recently renovated. The islands can be reached by tourist boats or kayaks that can be rented on the beach.
On the right side of Petrovac promenade is an old Venetian fortress Castello (Castio). It was built in the sixteenth century. From the top of the fortress spreads a magnificent view of the sandy beach, the promenade and the sea, and there is also located an old Venetian cannon aimed at sea. Fortress Castello and islands are the main symbols of Petrovac and the unavoidable motive of many postcards.
As a tourist destination Petrovac was discovered at the thirties of last century. In the fifties was built a dock, where can docks tourist boats, sailboats and yachts. Dock is also a great and accessible place for all those who love fishing.
The promenade, which is located between 650 meters long sandy beach and the old Venetian stone houses surrounded by palm trees, pine trees and oleander, offers a pleasant shade on hot summer days. Petrovac offers a wide selection of cafes, a pastry shops, souvenir shops and restaurants which are indispensable offer. Traditional cuisine is full of sea fruits , fish, pasta and vegetables that attracts every visitor who comes to Petrovac.
Every year is organized a traditional event called "Petrovac's Night". Usually this is the last Sunday in August, when many visitors can enjoy free seafood specialties from the grill, wine, beer and good music. On this day Petrovac literally swarming with guests. At the evening all visitors can enjoy a concert of famous local bends and from the region of Montenegro, followed by fireworks at the end of the ceremony.
In late June, there is an event called "Pasticada fest" organized by the Tourist Organization of Budva and Municipality of Budva. It is an event that promotes "pasticada", traditional coastal dish, with a rich music events and an events for children.
Some scenes from famous Hollywood movies were recorded in Petrovac:
- "The November Man" from 2014, with Pierce Brosnan and Olga Kurylenko in the main role, in which also starring many famous local actors.
- "The Brothers Bloom" from 2008, in which the main role is played by Adrien Brody.
Why you should visit Petrovac?
- Because Petrovac is peaceful town where you can truly relax
- Because Petrovac will charm you with it's small streets, sandy beaches, and unforgettable sunsets
- Because thousands of tourists from the region and beyond come to this town every year to enjoy the sun, sea and the beach
- Because it is close and well connected with Budva, Bar, Ulcinj and other coastal towns that you would like to visit
- Distance from airport Podgorica: 45 Km
- Distance from airport Tivat: 37 Km
Distance from Petrovac to:
- Budva: 17 km
- Kotor: 40 km
- Bar: 21 km
- Ulcinj: 48 km